Saturday, November 25, 2006

Ultrasonic Teenager Repellent

Many of us spent this Thanksgiving gathered around a big table with our families. I spent mine around the kids table with five male adolescent cousins. Thanksgiving is not a holiday for them, it’s a challenge. In the roughly four hour duration they managed to say every swear word in the dictionary, make everybody under the age of ten cry, and somehow sculpt the entire human anatomy using only mashed potatoes.

So more than anything else, this Thanksgiving I was thankful that the laser pointer trend is over. They did however manage to make up for it with a dreadful ringtone that apparently only young people can hear. The New York Times' story, 'A Ringtone Meant to Fall on Deaf Ears,' from last June allows you to listen to the ringtone. Do you pass the kids table test? Well I could definitely hear it and trust me anyone who can’t is lucky.

And with that, I’ll leave you with a poem:

I saw the best meals of my generation
destroyed by the madness of my brother.
My soul carved in slices

by spikey-haired demons.

-- `Howl of the Unappreciated' by Lisa Simpson, ``Bart vs. Thanksgiving''

1 Comments:

Blogger glennyoder said...

i watched that episode on thanksgiving, too!

3:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home